Today’s Veterinary Business Staff
Two animal welfare groups have created the National Veterinary Council, a panel of 10 veterinarians who will perform policy and advocacy work.
“Veterinarians have the training and practical experience not only to help animals, but also to guide political leaders, corporations and average citizens to do better when it comes to individual and institutional treatment of animals,” said Annie Harvilicz, DVM, founder of the Animal Wellness Foundation. “Our veterinarians have the experience and ability to push forward our campaigns to combat factory farming, puppy mills, horse abuse and so many other problems.
“They’ll also be on the frontlines in programs to help animals directly — both for regular care and in crisis circumstances.”
Partnering with the Animal Wellness Foundation is Animal Wellness Action, a Washington, D.C., group that lobbies against animal exploitation and cruelty.
Besides Dr. Harvilicz, the chief medical officer at Animal Wellness Centers in Los Angeles, the other volunteers serving on the National Veterinary Council are:
- Randall Cannon, DVM, of Orlando, Florida, the founder of the nonprofit group Take Your Blinders Off.
- Pernilla Edstrom, DVM, Ph.D., the medical director at Animal Wellness Centers in Los Angeles.
- Elizabeth Hassinger, DVM, the founder of Wolf Rock Animal Health Center in Exeter, Rhode Island.
- Matt Holland, DVM, an American Association for the Advancement of Science Science and Technology policy fellow at the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture in Washington, D.C.
- Jim Keen, DVM, Ph.D., a visiting fellow in Harvard Law School’s Animal Law and Policy Program in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Sarah LaMere, DVM, Ph.D., an assistant professor of medicine at the University of California, San Diego.
- Armaiti May, DVM, a Los Angeles house call veterinarian.
- Avenelle Turner, DVM, DACVIM, the senior oncologist and lead investigator at Veterinary Cancer Group at the City of Angels Specialty Center in Los Angeles.
- Louise Murray, DVM, DACVIM (SAIN), a staff internist at Katonah-Bedford Veterinary Center in Bedford Hills, New York.