Today’s Veterinary Business Staff
Zoetis Inc. has launched the AlphaTrak 3 blood glucose monitoring system for diabetic U.S. cats and dogs. The system builds on the AlphaTrak 2 pet glucometer and features a mobile app that supports data sharing between pet owners and veterinary care providers.
“Diabetes is becoming more prevalent in dogs and cats,” said Georgette D. Wilson, DVM, a Zoetis senior manager and the global diagnostics platform medical lead. “Though a diabetes diagnosis may be overwhelming for pet owners, the disease can be successfully managed.”
AlphaTrak 3 collects real-time data to help veterinarians and pet owners be more confident about diabetic pet care, according to Zoetis.
Other key features include:
- Specific calibration for cats and dogs.
- Reliable data in as little as five seconds.
- A small sample volume (0.3 microliters) is required.
- A blood glucose range of 20 to 750 milligrams per deciliter.
- Data capture around a pet’s eating and drinking, exercise, and time of insulin administration.
- Tracking blood glucose trends.
- Integrating data with a pet’s medical records.
AlphaTrak 2 test strips are not compatible with the new device.