Today’s Veterinary Business Staff
The veterinary industry has responded to the devastation of Hurricane Harvey by donating millions of dollars in cash and supplies to help animals and people.
Among the contributors:
- American Veterinary Medical Association: $100,000 in reimbursement grants through the American Veterinary Medical Foundation. Additional donations may be made at AVMF.org/Donate. Use the code “Disaster Relief” to designate money for reimbursement grants.
- Assisi Animal Health: $10,000 challenge grant to the AKC Reunite Pet Disaster Relief Fund.
- Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges: $25,000 contribution to the Texas A&M University Foundation’s Veterinary Emergency Disaster Fund. Additional donations of supplies or in-kind gifts may be made by calling 979-845-9043 or 979-324-8300.
- Boehringer Ingelheim: $100,000 to Americares and Direct Relief International and $25,000 to the Texas A&M Foundation through the Boehringer Ingelheim Cares Foundation.
- Eli Lilly: $250,000 to the American Red Cross. The company also is matching employee donations to the Red Cross and the Salvation Army.
- Nationwide: $500,000 to Red Cross Disaster Relief through the Nationwide Foundation.
- Henry Schein: $500,000 in cash and health care products to relief organizations through the Henry Schein Cares Foundation.
- Nestlé Purina PetCare: $25,000 donation to Greater Good.
- Patterson Companies: Up to $50,000 to match employee contributions to the American Red Cross. The Patterson Animal Health team is assisting Houston-area veterinary hospitals and animal relief efforts.
- Petco: $2.3 million commitment to animal welfare organizations through the Petco Foundation. Money raised in Petco stores and online — bit.ly/2gLB5ie — through Sept. 10 will be sent to the organizations.
- PetSmart: $2 million in grants to support animal welfare organizations through PetSmart Charities.
- Texas Veterinary Medical Foundation: Accepting donations through its disaster relief fund. More information is available at texvetpets.org/giving.
- Zoetis: More than $500,000 worth of medicine and vaccines to American Humane and the Texas A&M University Veterinary Emergency Team. The company also is offering technical and product support to livestock and companion animal customers. Employees are volunteering in animal shelters.