Today’s Veterinary Business Staff
The provider of ASPCA pet health insurance is reminding pet owners — and veterinary teams — about the danger of feeding certain peanut butter to dogs.
The artificial sweetener xylitol makes peanut butter more palatable to people, but it is potentially lethal to dogs.
“If consumed by a dog, xylitol can cause a rapid drop in blood sugar, diarrhea, seizures, liver failure and death,” said Wendy Hauser, DVM, assistant vice president of veterinary relations for Crum & Forster Pet Insurance Group.
“Be on the lookout for other names that also refer to xylitol, including xylite, anhydroxylitol, d-xylitol, xylitylglucoside and 1,4-anhydro-d-xylitol.”
Crum & Forster prepared a YouTube video — http://bit.ly/2zTFOtG — titled “Should Dogs Eat Peanut Butter?” that may be shared by veterinary practices. In addition, an informational graphic may be downloaded at http://prn.to/2AhRpDr and posted in clinics or handed to clients.
Crum & Forster is based in Akron, Ohio.