Today’s Veterinary Business Staff
The American Veterinary Medical Association is looking for the next Dr. Andrew Clark and Dr. Valerie Ragan, just two of the recipients of 2017 AVMA Excellence Awards.
The nomination period for the 2018 awards will close Feb. 15.
The 12 categories are:
- XIIth International Veterinary Congress Prize, which recognizes an AVMA member who contributed to international understanding of veterinary medicine. Dr. Clark was the 2017 winner.
- Public Service Award, which recognizes an AVMA member for outstanding public service while an employee of a government agency or for education of veterinarians in public service activities. The 2017 winner was Dr. Ragan.
- AVMA Award, which recognizes an AVMA member who contributed to the advancement of veterinary medicine in its organizational aspects.
- Meritorious Service Award, which recognizes an AVMA member who brought honor and distinction to the veterinary profession through personal, professional or community service activities outside organized veterinary medicine and research.
- Advocacy Award, which recognizes an AVMA member or non-veterinarian for advancing the AVMA legislative agenda and advocating on behalf of the veterinary profession.
- Animal Welfare Award, which recognizes an AVMA member for accomplishments in the field of animal welfare in leadership, public service, education, research or product development, or advocacy.
- Career Achievement Award in Canine Research, which honors an AVMA member’s long-term contribution to the field of canine research.
- Clinical Research Award, which recognizes an AVMA member’s achievements in patient-oriented research.
- Humane Award, which recognizes a non-veterinarian for accomplishments in the field of animal welfare in leadership, public service, education, research or product development, or advocacy.
- Lifetime Excellence in Research Award, which recognizes a veterinarian for lifetime achievements in basic, applied or clinical research.
- AVMF/Winn Feline Foundation Research Award, which honors a recipient’s contribution to advancing feline health through research.
- Bustad Companion Animal Veterinarian of the Year Award, which recognizes the work of an AVMA member in preserving and protecting the human-animal bond.
More information and nomination forms are available at www.avma.org/awards.