Community

hard times

7 financial foul-ups

Veterinarians make some basic errors when it comes to money in their pocket and in their retirement fund. Budget? What budget?

Whether you’re a seasoned multipractice owner or just out of veterinary school, personal financial mistakes can occur at any point of your career. Here are seven common errors, each of which can affect your financial well-being equally. 1. Not Having an Emergency Fund You hear the expression “rainy day fund,” but in reality what you […]

discrimination

The scourge of discrimination

Ugly acts of bigotry and intolerance are perpetrated by colleagues and clients. Learn what your practice can do to become more diverse and inclusive.

It was a typical day at the corporate veterinary hospital where Dr. Donna Smith had been employed for nearly a year. After seeing patients, Dr. Smith walked into a central treatment area and saw a noose fashioned from white nylon rope hanging from an overhead examination light. Dr. Smith, who is African American, asked the […]

crossroads

Telemedicine nears a crossroads

Politics and Policy

Much has been accomplished to this point. Now it’s time for lawmakers and state and national organizations to step up.

It’s time for a checkup. Not for my pets, but for a certain item called veterinary telemedicine. Every reader of Today’s Veterinary Business knows that you cannot attend a local, state or national veterinary meeting without seeing telemedicine on the agenda. It’s been that way for the past 2½ years. The NAVC’s January conference, VMX, […]

veterinary office

Pipelines and pathways

Diversity Toolbox

Veterinary professionals can do more inside and outside of the practice to expose young people to potential careers in animal health and plug the leakage of talented students to other industries.

Annual studies conducted by the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges find that prospective veterinary students routinely express interest in the profession before age 10. In those 10 short years, they develop a love of animals and a desire to help them. The profession, however, can seem one dimensional to young people: Veterinarians take care […]

ocean

Come aboard!

Creative Disruption

The veterinary industry has a lot going for it, starting with the historic role pets play in everyday life. Staffing issues and the cost of care deserve attention, however.

Sailors are familiar with the phrase “fair winds and following seas.” The saying refers to ideal conditions for steering a ship. Our profession is enjoying both fair winds and a few rough seas. With that in mind, I’ve been thinking about our profession’s tailwinds and headwinds. Ever the optimist, I’ll start with tailwinds, which in […]

fetal bones

Confessions of a swine veterinarian

When a weird case presents, sometimes the best a surgeon can do is rely on hard-earned talent and intuition.

My professional life has been dominated by dog and cat medicine, but my heart will always belong to pigs. It seems as if every time I think pigs have slipped off my radar, one will come around. Such was the case with a throw-away pig named Rose who had an iron will to live and […]

mentoring

It was meant to be

Creative Disruption

“Mentern” relationships between baby boomers and millennials allow for the exchange of knowledge and the smooth handoff of the veterinary profession from one generation to the next.

As I and millions of fellow baby boomers begin to see more of life in the rearview mirror than out the windshield, I often find myself reflecting: Have I served my family well, did I give back to the profession I dearly love, and where the hell are my glasses? It’s become abundantly clear that […]

courtroom and exam room

Courtrooms and exam rooms

Politics and Policy

As legislators in three states ponder awarding non-economic damages to pet owners, the veterinary profession needs to get to the bottom of what is troubling nurses.

When we talk about threats to veterinarians and access to veterinary care, nothing is more dangerous than legislation that authorizes the recovery of non-economic damages. This troublesome idea has been around for decades, but state courts have done the heavy lifting to maintain the status quo in California, Texas, Georgia, Oregon and Vermont, to name […]

maze

Your gift to the future

Diversity Toolbox

Underrepresented and low-income students are determined to earn admission to veterinary school and thrive afterward. You can help them achieve their dreams.

Last fall, young people from all over the United States applied to veterinary school. Their applications represented a significant step toward their lifelong goal of becoming a veterinarian. At the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges, where I work, we survey applicants and use the data collected to recommend recruiting and admissions practices. The veterinary […]

technology

Bricks and clicks

Creative Disruption

Veterinary medicine will be in a world of hurt if it doesn’t embrace new and better ways of serving pets and clients.

Pet owners call your practice, make an appointment, drive to your hospital and wait in the lobby. We see them once a year if we’re lucky. By some estimates, half the pets in the U.S. won’t see a veterinarian this year. We then have maybe 20 minutes to address the presenting complaint and hopefully squeeze […]

DMCA.com Protection Status
MENU